Thursday, December 07, 2006

And They Laugh At MY Music

I "discovered" two new bands the other day. I say "discovered" because they've been around for a while, quite a while in one case. One is Bolt Thrower, which reminds me a bit of, say, Dismember or a somewhat less arty Entombed. The other Insomnium, a Finnish melodic death metal band that reminds me a bit of a less commercially polished In Flames with just a hint of doomdeath mixed in. They're both quite good, though in different ways. Bolt Thrower is heavier, but Insomnium it cut out of the Gothenburg cloth, which I happen to like. I apparently have an infinite appetite for melodic death metal, at least as long as it says away from modern experiments in metalcore. I don't care for all that indecipherable shouting and prefer all that indecipherable growling.

A day or so ago I watched a news story about the Billboard music awards. I'm not a big fan of music awards - I think they are fundamentally irrelevant. I know the kinds of music I like and I don't need to buttress my tottering ego by listening to what's new or cool. And, let's be honest, the music that is likely to win awards just isn't made for me. You like pop music? By all means, enjoy it in good health.

But please stop barging into my cubicle at work just so you can sneer at the music I listen to.

No comments: