Thursday, March 08, 2007

On The Other Hand...

One might well think that I do nothing but complain about the state of the model hobby these days. And just to prove that I don't always whine, I'd now like to talk about some of the things that I like.

I like, for example, the tidal wave of new 1/72nd scale armor kits coming out of Russia and Eastern Europe. I've always liked 1/72nd scale armor - the kits are generally fairly inexpensive, easy to build, easy to paint, and easy to display. For years there was a decided lack of variety in this scale, but the Eastern Europeans are pouring on the kits and it seems that the "main line" companies like Revell-Germany and Esci are joining the cavalcade.

I like Academy kits. Good fit, good detail, good decals, an increasingly good mix of subjects, and all at a reasonable price.

I like the 1/72nd scale Revell Gato, even though I'll never build it. I don't look forward to wrestling with a five-foot submarine, and there's literally nowhere I could possibly display it, but I like knowing I have that option (I have the 1/72nd scale Type-VII U-boat in the early stages of construction, and it's just about as big as I ever care to go with a model.)

I like the wide and ever-widening range of decals that are available.

I like most model magazines, especially FSM and SAMI. The latter has a wonderfully dry sense of humor, and I find it quite interesting that it routinely features models that were brush-painted and nobody gets all bent out of shape over it.

I like the way Model Master II paints airbrush.

So there.

No comments: