Monday, January 19, 2009

Back To Yon Grind

I went back to work today after a month off, half of which was an alleged "vacation" (try to convince yourself that it's a vacation when you've been diagnosed with Stage 4 lymphoma and you're waiting for chemo to start) and half of which was just me feeling too awful to work.

Work went okay, by and large. I started to get a little over-tired in the afternoon so I left early, fearing that if I stayed much longer I'd run the risk of falling asleep in the car on the way home. And by then my leg was heartily sick of standing up and sitting down. But it didn't go badly, all things considered. Other than being tired in general and my leg finally giving out, I didn't feel too bad, though I had to deal with a million and one interruptions from A) my adoring fans, and B) people who didn't even realize I had been out of work. Yes, both groups exist.

The fun part was sanitizing my cubicle and phone because of my low white blood cell count. How often do you get to play with Lysol disinfectant wipes at work? Not nearly enough, I aver.

Tomorrow's another day. Given a decent night's sleep tonight, I should be able to make the full nine and a half hours. I don't see why not. I just wish I could figure out why the Ambien the doctor gave me don't work worth beans. I swear they make me nervous instead of putting me to sleep, so maybe I'm better off with warm milk or a half a fifth of spiced rum...

2 comments:

Jean said...

I'll pick you up some "Sleepy Time Tea" tomorrow.

You're the bravest man I know, by the way. I know what a physical effort and drain it was to go back to work today. You're an amazing person.

Stockyard Queen said...

Good going, William! Glad you're back at work.