Saturday, December 18, 2010

Death Metal Dead

Death metal has been pronounced dead.

I had occasion to read the list of the top ten metal songs of the year, as picked by "Noisecreep", whoever they are. I'm not normally prone to reading this sort of thing - I like what I like and generally don't require validation from alleged cognoscenti. But it is interesting to note the bands who produced their top ten songs:

Priestess
Fear Factory
Scorpions
Iron Maiden
Mar De Grises
High on Fire
Deftones
Nachtmysterium
Ratt
Triptycon

Not a death metal act in the whole bunch. Actually, not much metal of any kind at all.

Here's one of their comments on Nachtmysterium:

'No Funeral' pulsates like something you might hear in a darkwave/goth dance club, and despite its gorgeous synthesizer-led melodies, many closed-minded metalheads shunned it.

If I wanted darkwave/goth dance music, then I guess it would make me happy. But I don't, so it didn't. But I guess that makes me a "hater".

Here's another comment on Deftones:

On top of everything, Chino Moreno's angelic crooning during the track's chorus is total ear candy.

It's like a segment from Sesame Street where we're enjoined to guess which one of these things just doesn't belong - metal music on the one hand, and total ear candy angelic crooning on the other. It's like going to a Mexican restaurant and getting Hollandaise sauce on one's enchilada - someone somewhere didn't get a very important memo. There's nothing wrong with Mexican food, and there's nothing wrong with Hollandaise sauce, but I prefer that the two not fuse into some horrid postmodern mess.

But, then again, Noisecreep picked Judas Priest winning some kind of award as the top metal moment of the year. Since when did metal care about awards? And since when was Judas Priest metal? I don't dislike Judas Priest by any means - but if you think Judas Priest is metal, you probably think canned tamales are Mexican food.

And the very thought of a Ratt song being the #2 metal song of the year made me buy a whole Amon Amarth album by way of overcompensation.



No comments: