Thursday, March 03, 2011

Cults

I've often considered starting my own cult. I'm not much of a joiner by nature and I'm not sure I'd want to join any pre-existing cults not of my own making, but I think it might be fun to form my own cult. And if not a cult, then at least a secret society that meets every so often in some manor house in the English countryside where we park ourselves in leather chairs in an enormous library, sip brandy, and exchange wry witticisms about Erasmus and Samuel Pepys.

But to form a cult or a secret society, I think I need to figure out what my objective is first. The real objective, of course, is to get a whole bunch of people to give me their money so I don't have to work any more, but I can't just come out and say that. Instead I'm going to have to invent some mumbo-jumbo to the effect that your Lexus is an affront to a Well-Ordered Universe and that I'm the only one who can dispose of said Lexus. There is doubtless a whole list of things that are an affront to a Well-Ordered Universe - cars, Cartier watches, Waterford crystal, bills in denominations larger than $20 US, Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale model airplanes, Babe Ruth baseball cards, diamonds the size of almonds...

Maybe I should start small and aim to create a cult where the act of going to get me a cup of coffee earns initiates big spiritual brownie points. You there! Don't you know that the path to enlightenment passes right by the coffee maker? What are you doing standing around then? Get me a cup of coffee, and while you're at it, grab my Kindle!

Any takers? No? I didn't think so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, looks like nuclear power is taking it on the chin today in Japan. Let's hope they get it under control before something really bad happens.

William said...

It sounds like the Japanese are doing all they can; I hope it's enough. They don't need a major nuclear accident on top of this earthquake. Nobody needs a major nuclear accident. And I confess this does rattle my faith in nuclear energy; there's only so much that engineers can anticipate.

Stockyard Queen said...

I agree that there's a limit to what engineers can anticipate, but I do think they should have anticipated a tsunami, simply because that's a fairly predictable consequence when you are on an earthquake-prone island. I am concerned about the Callaway nuclear plant, which is between St. Louis and Columbia and thus not very far from the New Madrid fault, which is way overdue for a shaker.