Sunday, November 06, 2011

Inartistic License

I haven't written anything in a while. No, let me correct that, I haven't written a blog post in a while. But I've written plenty elsewhere. I'm suffering from an advanced case of the novelist vapors, an odd medical condition where I start to believe that I really could write a book, and most of my writing lately has gone into the treatment of that peculiar medical condition.

As it happens, I can write a book. I've done many times. Publishing a book, on the other hand, has proved to be more difficult. That's a fairly self-serving remark, suggesting that I've been out flogging my latest manuscript to agents and editors and building up a wall-sized collage of rejection slips. But I haven't. The whole process seems so complicated, and so unlikely to succeed, that I just can't be bothered. Yeah, I know all the aphorisms, but spare me - I happen to enjoy writing, but I don't enjoy writing cover letters and going through all that hoohah. All of which means, I suppose, that I shouldn't quit my day job.

But honestly, it isn't as though any of the derivative crap I write is ever going to be featured in the Oprah Book Club, and without that sort of endorsement, commercial success is unlikely. Nor have I sunk to the level of considering e-publishing or a vanity publisher. I'm not sure I want to hand out copies of any of my books and have people call me and say "Gee whiz, what did you write that crap for?" Not that I'm embarrassed about it, but I will admit that it isn't particularly literary.

I notice something in my own personal writing experience that puzzles and amuses me. People read some Famous Horror Author, whose initials may or may not be "Stephen King" or "Dean Koontz" or "Bentley Little". And they say things like "Wow, wasn't that a great villain? He was so AWFUL!" But they read something I wrote, and they get to the villain, and they turn on me. "What did you write THAT for? How could you even THINK that? Are you really THAT sick?" If Stephen King creates some odious character, he is lauded for creating a chilling bad guy. If I do it, people think I've got a screw loose and assume I actually approve of the bad guy. I've never figured out why that double standard exists, but it's very pronounced and predictable. Not everyone does it, but enough have that I've become wary of handing out manuscripts willy-nilly. Nothing takes the fun out of writing faster than trying to convince someone that the fact that your bad guy hates fluffy kittens doesn't mean that YOU hate fluffy kittens too. Or there are exchanges like this: "Look, right here on page 354, the villain gets what's coming to him and justice is served!" "Yeah, but couldn't you have written about big-eyed rabbits in footie pajamas and skipped the bad guy?" "But I was writing a horror novel. Big-eyed rabbits in footie pajamas aren't horrible." "What's wrong with big-eyed rabbits in footie pajamas?" "Nothing! But... But..." And so on.

Everyone else gets to exercise artistic license. Me, I'm held accountable for every damn word I've ever written. It's as though I've been nominated for the Supreme Court. Good thing I haven't been. That zombie apocalypse novel I wrote a while back would come back to haunt me something awful and severely damage my chances of getting the nod from the committee.

"We note in leafing through the corpus of your work that this novel mentioned drug use, drunkenness, sex outside of marriage, death metal, wanton disregard for traffic laws, undercooked pork, and unsafe use of firearms. How do you respond to that?"

"It was a ZOMBIE NOVEL, for crying out loud! And Carpathian Forest is black metal, not death metal!"

No comments: