Friday, February 05, 2010

Tubeless

I had my last Borg implant removed last week. The central line in the left side of my chest was removed quite some time ago, but I had the central line (technically a Hickman catheter) removed from my right side last week.

It's an amazing procedure. Now, bear in mind that the Hickman catheter consists of a plastic tube that goes up into your neck and then down into your superior vena cava, terminating just above the heart valve. This is as deeply embedded in one's circulatory system as anything can get. And how do you think they remove such a thing?

They grab it and yank it out. It's amazing to me that they could yank this thing out of my jugular vein without microsurgery and electrocautery and whatnot, but they not only can, they did. And it didn't even bleed. It was painful, but only momentarily, when the scar tissue let go.

Now I have groovy scars on my chest that look like old gunshot wounds, and it's ever so much easier to take a shower.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

woohoo! Totally tubeless! :)

William said...

Being tubeless is MOST excellent!

They offered to let me keep the old Hickman catheter as a memento of the ordeal, but I decided that was a little creepy and over the top.