Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Star Peace

I never really thought a lot about George Takei. Mind you, I didn't think poorly of George Takei. I mean, I enjoyed his work in Star Trek, and he always seemed to be a decent guy, but he just didn't really cross my mind all that often. But recently, George has slowly been working his way to the higher reaches of my geek appreciation list. His latest work, the attempt to broker peace between William Shatner and Carrie Fisher, may well put him over the top and ensure him a lifetime place in my personal geek-roll.

Let's face it, Twilight is a mess. Immortal vampires with super powers (to say nothing of sparkling) who go to high school? Oh man. Vlad would be SO disappointed. If Vlad went to high school, it would be to drain all its occupants of blood, not to sit in third period history and mope.

There's a lot in geekdom that I don't really "get". I don't "get" anime, for example. And I don't really "get" the modern take on vampires. But the fact that I don't "get" them doesn't mean I hate them. I just don't spend much time thinking about them, or watching them. My opinion is that I don't understand anime and don't really like it, but it doesn't bother me personally. I don't get True Blood, especially in its HBO formulation, but it doesn't offend me.

But something about Twilight does bother me personally. If George can get fandom in general to just say no to that brooding nonsense, I'd vote for him for President.

No comments: