Thursday, November 20, 2008

Home Sick

I stayed home today. I got about an hour of sleep last night, something I ate this morning nauseated me intensely, and I feel like a radio-controlled toy running on that last despairing trickle of battery power before everything stops.

When I was a kid I liked staying home sick. Nobody liked having the mumps or chicken pox or whatever, but it was still kind of fun - it got you out of school, and you had the feeling that whatever the illness was, it wouldn't last long, wouldn't be that bad, and would more than likely get your mom to get you some ice cream. So yeah, bring on the fever and the rashes and the whatnot, and make my ice cream strawberry while you're at it!

Being sick when you're older isn't as much fun. In my case, I don't have sick time, so I have to ask myself "Am I really that sick? Taking the day off costs money." And my illnesses seem a lot less interesting these days. When I was a kid, I had actual diseases - mumps, measles, chicken pox. Now what do I have? "I feel like crap." "I'm run down." "I just can't seem to get my ass in gear."

What fun. Meantime, I'm going back to bed.

No comments: