Friday, September 18, 2009

Phood Network

I watched an awful lot of the Food Network while I was sick, as is my usual wont. Here are a few of my random observations drawn from this experience.

1. Watching Chef Versus City is no fun when you're sick. Watching them force down those giant Chicago-style pizzas and threatening to blow chow while I was in turn threatening to blow chow was altogether too much. I don't care for the show much to begin with, but the forced eating and the loving close-ups of nausea-wracked faces just don't work for me.

2. I chuckle every time someone on Chopped says something like "I'm from (pick one) India China Columbia Bratislava and cooking is very important to my culture." Well, duh. Name me one culture that cooking isn't very important to. It sounds like mindless jingoism to me.

3. I have to apologize to Bobby Flay. In the past I've insisted that he's a jerk, but I think I have to retract that statement. He seems much more decent than I ever gave him credit for. I also have to say that while I like his cooking style, what with all the spices and peppers and whatnot, I wish he'd stop putting octopus in everything. Ugh.

2 comments:

Stockyard Queen said...

I wish he's stop putting cilantro on everything, but I've always been mystified by how much some people hate him. He's always come across to me as a very kind, humble dude. Maybe because he didn't graduate from high school?

William said...

I didn't know that he didn't graduate from high school. I'm also intrigued by something he said once, that he used to work as a cowboy "outside of Austin". I'm almost tempted to not believe him, but it's about outlandish enough to be true.