Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Nature of Things

My oncologist says that it is the nature of cancer to grow, to the point that growth is defining characteristic of cancer.

With that in mind, I got my PET scan results yesterday, and they showed no change compared to an earlier scan in April. No change = no growth = no active cancer. It doesn't mean I'm cured, but it does mean that nothing is growing inside me, and as of right now, no treatment is called for. No poisonous chemicals, no horrid bone marrow transplants, no beams of highish-energy X-rays. We wait, we monitor, we observe, and we watch.

It's the best news I've had from a doctor in a long time.

The CT portion of the scan shows widespread tissue damage in my groin - thickened skin, dead nodes, general wreckage. I imagine the tissue there probably resembles the Somme just after World War One. It is this general wreckage that is thought to be responsible for the swelling in my leg, and I find that I can live with that. I'll have to go to a lymphedema clinic to learn how to manage the swelling, and if the leg doesn't drain, I may may have to have some kind of vascular surgery to restore drainage, but that's not so bad.

Vascular surgery I can live with; it's cancer that's a bummer.

I think to celebrate, I may go to a hobby shop on the way to work today and score me some Star Trek models. Can't have too many Trek models, can you?



1 comment:

Stockyard Queen said...

This is great news!