Monday, April 21, 2008

Oh, I'm Not Well

Recently the Stephen King book Duma Key was recommended to me, and I've duly penciled it into my wish-list (now if only I'd stop buying those gosh-darn Chicken Soup for the Sociopathic Soul books).

Pursuant to this I went out and read a few quicky Internet reviews, and my goodness it's amazing how a single well-chosen paragraph can change one's view of a book. Here's how it works. You take me, you tell me about a book called Duma Key, and I, like a dumbass, assume that it's got something to do with the key to the front door of the Russian Parliament, also known as the Duma. So I rumple my forehead and think "Well, it's an interesting idea for a spy novel, I guess, but I'm not sure how Steve - I bought the whole Dark Tower series; surely we're on a first-name basis by now - can make that into a horror novel."

The answer is - he can't. It's got nothing to do with door keys or the Russian Parliament, double-dumbass, it's named after a small island in the Florida Keys!

I blame the mushy spot on my forehead, which is starting to smell a bit like ethylene gas.

No comments: