Sunday, August 17, 2008

Nobody Likes A Whiner

Especially not Phil Gramm, but I don't care what he thinks, and I'm going to whine.

I woke up this morning with a devastating headache. Put your finger in your right ear canal, then move your fingertip forward until you leave "ear meat" and touch skull. That's where it hurt(s), like someone driving a 3/8ths-inch drill bit into my skull with one of those old cast-metal drills that runs fairly slow and produces a strong smell of ozone. This was at about four AM, and I figured as long as I was up and suffering, I might as well try out the bag of strawberry-flavored mini-wheat cereal I bought.

It's kind of a disappointment. It's not very strawberry-flavored and proved to be nothing at all like the Strawberry Quik indulgence I was hoping for, but it was better than lying there in the dark and being hungry. Trouble was, it attracted Baxter, the orange cat. Turns out he loves strawberry-scented milk. He loves it a lot. He was all over me, purring and making soft little "can I have some milk" sounds, digging his little feets into my surgical scar, sticking his head into the bowl, even licking droplets of said milk off my finger. He wasn't even driven away when all this hoohah attracted the attentions of the Stinking Black Flobberworms, AKA the dogs, who normally give Baxter the creeps. Eventually I sank to the level of feeding Baxter the milk one spoonful at a time until the milk was gone and my usefulness had ended. I haven't seen Baxter since, in case you were wondering.

So I determined the cereal wasn't much good, but I got some quality cat time, and that's always worthwhile.

My headache has been coming and going most of the day. It remained gone as long as I was in the swimming pool and drinking beer, but not long after I got out it came back. It went away again as I napped through TV coverage of the Olympics, but then Poopie (another cat) decided to start yowling from under the bed. She used to yowl from the bedroom door, but we started driving her away with squirt guns. Now she yowls from under the bed, where she's safe from squirt gun fire, the hussy. So she woke me up and my headache came back...

Suffice it to say that I think headaches on a weekend are singularly unfair. It wasn't that I had much planned for today - working on a model, writing, playing on the computer and swimming, mainly - but man I hate it when my important leisure activities are crimped by a headache.

Oh well. Time to end this boring post and go back to bed, I guess.

No comments: