Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where The Last Wave Broke

I was goofing around on iTunes tonight, mainly checking to see if the new Insomnium album Across the Dark might be available by chance, and instead found a new three-song EP called Where The Last Wave Broke. What giveth, dudes? I find nothing on their website about this EP, so it's something of an enigma to me. Where did it come from, and why?

Still, I'm not complaining; new Insomnium, even if it is enigmatic, is better than no new Insomnium. Musically, the three songs all sound like they came from three different epochs in the band's development, making me wonder if they weren't demos or trial runs that never made it onto their actual releases. I like the sound of "Into The Evernight" in particular, though the drums seem to have about fallen out of the bottom of the song. It also reprises chunks of an earlier Insomnium song, but in a fairly tasteful way that doesn't automatically put me in mind of recyling.

No comments: