Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pineapple Juice

I went to the hospital yesterday to have my Hickman line installed. The chemo, however, had devastated my platelet count and my blood was hardly clotting at all - I had a constant low-grade nosebleed and my arms were slowly being covered by livid red subcutaneous bleeds. Before they would install my new line, I had to have a transfusion of platelets. It turns out that a bag of platelets looks a lot like pineapple juice, only it's somewhat more gooey and sticky. But, with the platelets in, the doctors installed the line, and now I have more plastic in me than a cheap Chinese radio.

All we're waiting on now is for the Neupogen to boost my stem cell count so we can have a good harvest. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after, maybe in a few days, but soon, either way. And then I can stop taking Neupogen, which makes my bones hurt. That will be a happy day for me!

No comments: