Monday, November 02, 2009

In The Bank

I have about 5.2 million stem cells in the blood bank right now. I only needed 4 million, but I'm apparently a rich source of the little bastards, since in two sessions of apheresis I produced 5.2 million. Better too many than not because, because apheresis isn't much fun.

It doesn't hurt in any way, but you have to lie relatively still for four hours. Any movement, any coughing, even arm movements unsettle the apheresis machine, which sets up a horrid beeping sound and grinds to a halt. Until I figured that out, I ran the poor med tech guy crazy getting the machine up and running again.

After each session I got extremely wobbly and unsteady, not to mention extremely nauseated. Apheresis may not hurt, but it isn't without consequences. The guy who runs the street sweeper in the hospital parking garage who had to clean up after me can vouch for at that consequence.

But my cells are banked, and now things can slow down a little bit. We had to move extremely quickly to get me ready to harvest stem cells within a few days of my last ESHAP chemo treatment, but now that we have the cells in hand, the time pressure lets off. In fact, it lets off considerably - I hate to jinx myself, but I can't feel a single cancerous node, not even the two that were left over in my groin after the ABVD chemo.

An open appeal: when I go into the hospital for the transplant grande, I would appreciate anyone who reads this to smuggle me in some paper packets of salt and pepper. I had hospital lunches Thursday and Friday, and they had all the makings of nice meals. One was a baked pasta dish with vegetables; the other beef stew and a reasonably flaky biscuit. Unfortunately, neither dish had ever heard of salt or pepper, let alone had any sprinkled on them, so even though they were well made and as palatable as they could be under the circumstances, I'd have given my shoes for some salt.

No comments: