Thursday, November 26, 2009

Something Just For Me

I see the Food Network has a new competition show, something along the lines of The Worst Cook In America. I don't necessarily think I'm the worst cook in America. I'm pretty bad, but not that bad. But somehow I think this show might appeal to me.

When I was single, I was known for making dishes that basically amounted to boxes of macaroni and cheese with "other stuff" thrown in. Always stewed tomatoes, often ground beef, not infrequently diced green chilis. These things turn out surprisingly well - to this day I'm partial to the taste of commercial macaroni and cheese mixed with canned stewed tomatoes. But one day I started to make this substance and discovered that I didn't have stewed tomatoes. After a moment of agonized indecision, I grabbed what I had and threw it in the pot. It was a large can of Chunky split pea soup. The resulting substance looked and tasted just like wet concrete.

Another time (still while I was single) I conceived the idea of making Rice Krispy treats. I didn't have a recipe, but I was never one to let lack of instructional materials hold me back. I knew the basis of the thing was Rice Krispies, which I had, and some sort of melted something or the other. So I melted up a bunch of brown sugar and mixed in the Rice Krispies. When it cooled, it cooled into a brittle glass-like substance that shattered instead of cutting. I tried to cut off a hunk while it was still in the fridge and it exploded violently, more like safety glass than a foodstuff. Shards of Rice Krispy glass flew in every direction. I later found them in the refrigerator drawers, in the butter tray, on the floor... I'm surprised that some of them didn't embed themselves in the ceiling.

I don't know if that qualifies me for the show, but it's still pretty shameful. I can't even blame alcoholic beverage or heavy metal music for it.

5 comments:

Da Teacha said...

OMG that is too funny. Remind me to tell you the exploding casserole dish story some day.

Sophia Ayala Gettys said...

Hey! I'm actually on of the worst cooks on the show! lol and you sound similar to my cooking abilities! haha, audition for season 2 for sure! Is that a sheltie on your page? I have one also. She's my Panda Bear:) Keep on cookin! and check out the show Jan 3rd! Root for me, Sophia on team BLUE!
XOXOX

William said...

Wow, an actual celebrity! Good luck on the show! Just remember that split pea soup mixed with anything results in tragedy... But I'll be rooting for you even as I dig through the pantry for that can of garbanzo beans that I bought about 15 years ago but SURELY must still be good!

It's my friend's sheltie in the picture. My own dog is much to scruffy to warrant more than one picture of her in the same blog :)

William said...

Do tell! I'm always up for a good exploding casserole dish story! My last culinary equipment disaster was pretty lame - I was holding a cup of coffee and the handle broke off. It was funny ha-ha until the falling cup landed on my toe, then it was funny ow-ow.

Sophia Ayala Gettys said...

Aww you're too kind! I am no celebrity, just a REALLY bad cook! haha... and I will remember pea soup is tragedy! lol Thanks so much for your support!