Friday, March 21, 2008

I Hate To Think It

I hate to say it. I hate to even think it. But I think the Clinton Campaign is slowly turning into the sort of thing I couldn't possibly support.

In the interests of full disclosure, I've been supporting Barack Obama for some time on the basis of my tactical assessment that he is more electable than Hillary Clinton, who has for years been the nexus of an "anyone but Hillary" movement in Republican circles.

But I couldn't say that in terms of policy or behavior there were many difference between the Obama and Clinton campaigns, so my preference for Obama was based strictly on a who-can-beat-McCain calculation. But lately it seems that the Clinton campaign is morphing into something I find mildly repugnant, and she (or her handlers) are becoming more and more overt about the fact that they're power-hungry politicians who'll not eschew any bit of gamesmanship or nastiness if they think it'll help them win.

I love the latest one - Hillary's cries that the voters of Michigan and Florida have been disenfranchised. By whom? By The Man? Is Dick Cheney down there throwing ballots in the trash? No - they were blocked from participating by the Democratic Party because the people that run the state campaigns broke the DNC's own rules! Gah! Your pathetic attempt to turn a technical breach of DNC rules into a human rights issue (really, a delegate issue) irritates me.

My point is that Hillary Clinton these days seems like your basic standard-issue power-hungry politician, and I know a lot of people who feel betrayed and let down by her because they had hoped for something more than a prancing ego in a power suit.

Alas. Earwax.

No comments: