Saturday, February 14, 2009

Neulasta? Nay!

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to not take Neulasta if their doctor(s) recommend doing so. A low white blood cell count is no laughing matter, as it can lead to delays in one's chemo and even to illness and infection - perhaps even fatal ones. So don't misconstrue what I'm about to say as a rant against Neulasta.

I'm SO glad I didn't need Neulasta this time. My "numbers", as we Hodgkin's Folk sometimes refer to our blood cell counts, were good enough that my doctor elected to skip the Neulasta. Which means I got to skip the rather unpleasant ache in my bones, which means that other than my usual chemo illnesses, I feel pretty good. My digestive tract is even showing signs of starting to come back on-line today, though I personally wouldn't hold my breath - I've been down this path before.

One thing I really do hate about the Hodgkin's/chemo combination is the way it completely takes over your life. All I talk about is lymphoma and chemo. What about all the other things that interest me? All the other things that I think are funny or weird or strange? Nope, got no time for weird; we've got chemo to deal with.

Oh, but I finally did get my tractor tire fixed today. I cut up a 4X6 to make cribbing for the jack from our F-150 truck, which lifted the tractor just fine. S&S Tires in Surprise fixed it for something like $14, which as far as I'm concerned is just dandy. Now the tractor's sitting on four good tires again, and I can actually do stuff. I'm not sure what just yet, but surely there's "stuff" that needs doing.

This is the first real productive outdoors handyman thing I've done since my diagnosis and it feels good to roll in the dirt, grunt on the end of a lug wrench, and actually do something.

Now, where did I leave my Percocets again??

No comments: