Wednesday, February 11, 2009

One Good Thing

The one good thing about Chemo Wednesday is that I can wake up more or less on my own schedule. It's virtually a day off from that point of view - if I want a cup of coffee the previous evening, I can have one. If I want to lie in bed for a while and play connect-the-dots with the imperfections in the ceiling, I can. It's not like a workday, where it seems that I'm already behind schedule no matter how early I wake up.

I'm starting to think of chemo as a huge Wheel of Fortune kind of thing. Every time I have chemo, I spin the Big Wheel of Side Effects. I've already had nausea, no end of digestive complaints, bright red urine, hair loss, that peculiar "chemo smell", the odd taste in my mouth, drooling, and what I suspect is neuralgia in my lower legs. What's next on the Big Wheel? I hope it's "boss sound effects". I think chemo would be a lot more fun if it made the world sound like it was connected to a wah-wah pedal, or if it made everyone sound like Ozzy Osbourne, or if the music of the spheres suddenly got all grindy Bill Steer-style.

But no, I'll probably get something repulsive or at least highly inconvenient, like suddenly growing neon red nasal hair six feet long.

No comments: