Monday, March 09, 2009

Debling

Guy Fieri always talks on the Food Network about how he has to "de-bling" to do certain cooking tasks. I wish I could de-bling in the sense of throwing him the hell off the TV so I can watch a cooking show without having to put up with him. Gawd.

I think that show "Drive-ins, Diners and Dives" is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen on the Food Network. How many times do we have to repeat the scene of Guy shoving something down his well-muscled throat and mumbling "That's super-tender" or "that's money" or "that's off the hook" before projectile vomiting sets in? Arrrgh. I'm so sick of him the mere sight of bleached spiked hair, pinkie rings, or sunglasses worn on the back of the head are enough to send me scuttling for the exits.

There is a certain population that thinks that Rachael Ray is the most irritating thing since jock itch. Well, she doesn't have anything on Guy Fieri, and that's money. And is it just me, or does he sound just like Emeril when he shouts? What if he really is Emeril? What if Emeril decided to retool his career by dressing and acting like an overbearing guitarist for a shit garage band? We'd have to say "BAM! Bad career move, Emeril! BAM!" And that is money.

5 comments:

alexlind said...

Amen !!

Stockyard Queen said...

I've never understood all the hating on Rachel, who just comes across as a little giggly and silly to me, but then, I am happy to hate on Guy, so I guess I'm no better than the rest of the haters.

Jean said...

I think the only reason I really hate Rachael Ray is that she's such a predominant fixture on the food network during the day. I have to think of all of the better, more informative cooks, with less irritating presence, whom I'd much rather be watching, that can't get airtime because of this well cleavaged, ditz. She's now infiltrated network television as well as CNN. Much like "Dog the Bounty Hunter" or any of the hundreds of cage fighting, kick boxing wrestling, car and motorcycle repair shows, Survivor clones, etc. I think it has to be either stupid or beligerant to play well on TV these days.

Ace of Cakes, for example, would never play well on regular TV because they're all too artistic and happy.

Stockyard Queen said...

"Well cleavaged ditz"? That's pretty unfair, I think. I'm not an Ace of Cakes fan, because I think food should look like food and not architecture, though I do respect Duff's training and talent.

Justin B. said...

The best cooking show on Food Network is Tyler's Ultimate (but he says "Fantastic" too much, so that's a turn-off), followed by Good Eats. I like Jamie at Home, too. Nigella Feasts and Simply Delicioso are very watchable, because Nigella Lawson and Ingrid Hoffman are probably the most gorgeous chefs ever to pick up a cooking utensil.