Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Doctor's Orders

I am under strict doctor's orders not to trim any trees.

I've been trying to bring order out of chaos, or at least beat back the enormous overgrowth of brush on our property. I feel that I share that with George W. Bush, who also spent a lot of time "cutting brush". Anyway, I managed to get myself fairly scratched up and bruised up while cutting the most recent load of brush.

Since I started chemo I bruise easily, and I bruise oddly. My normal bruises are just that, normal-looking ovoids, but bruises while one is in chemo have a strange spidery aspect. They look like the ships the Shadows flew in Babylon 5, only irregular and misshapen. Anyway, while the esteemed Dr. Adoo was feeling for nodes and listening to my lungs, he noticed the mess that is my forearms, and sternly ordered me to avoid such hijinks in the future.

Never one to take the doctor's orders lightly, I have vowed to avoid any kind of manual labor at all and will spend the next three months assembling 1/72nd scale model airplanes in front of the TV.

He, like I, was unable to feel any swollen nodes. He's pleased with my progress, and as I said elsewhere, anything that pleases my oncologist is liable to tickle the sh** out of me. And now, back to my model airplanes!

2 comments:

Jean said...

Have you put antibiotic ointment on your toe?

Stockyard Queen said...

It's great you're making good progress, and it's also great when your doctor orders you NOT to do something that, er, might not be that much fun to begin with.