Thursday, April 05, 2007

Lost

I was quite disappointed with last night's episode of Lost. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen on TV, and even in its wretchedness it was better than American Idol at its best, but that's like saying double pneumonia isn't as bad as leukemia. It is true, but it is also irrelevant (to paraphrase a North Vietnamese official).

It just didn't seem to amount to anything. The whose business of Kate and What's-her-name being handcuffed together was a plot point so easy and artificial they might as well have gotten it out of the Chained Heat script vending machine. The whole thing was... I want to say silly, but that's not really the right word. Easy comes closer to what I'm trying to say. Not easy to film, or easy to act, but easy to write.

Last week's episode was largely irrelevant as a story, but it managed to produce a certain chill horror when they buried Nikki and Paulo alive. But this week's episode? I suppose it was supposed to be a significant advancement in the story, but mostly I found it overly convenient and generally unsatisfactory.

Case in point: Sawyer is a professional con man who made a living by charming women out of large sums of cash, but all of a sudden he turns into a shoe-scuffling dork when it comes time to talk to Claire. In the immortal words of Mike Nelson, "I call no way!"

No comments: