Monday, August 13, 2007

Pull Cord

I made an interesting discovery the other day - I have a tiny, delicate little suture hanging out of my chest. I thought it was a hardened sniglet of super glue left over from my surgery, but finally the glue fell off and there it was, this tiny knot. I talked to my cardiologist's office and all they said was "Leave it alone; it'll come out on its own." Unable to actually leave it alone, I managed to grasp it between my fingernails (no easy feat) and managed to pull it out to a distance of almost an inch before I chickened out and let go. It retracted smoothly into my body until just the knot was visible, and that's when it struck me.

It's not a suture at all; it's a pull-cord!

I wonder what I'll say if someone pulls my string and lets it go. ZIP-"Math is hard!" ZIP-"Skipper! Look out for that tree!" ZIP-"By the power of Grayskull!" Knowing me, it'll be a few bars of the "Manomanah dah-dee-dah-dee-dee" song. And I'm absolutely positive that everyone who reads this knows exactly what song I'm talking about!

I also have another piece of much heavier string hanging out of my leg, out of the uppermost of the three incisions they made to harvest veins. It's thicker and almost looks like a drain tube, and it also hurts when I pull on it, so it's probably not a pull-cord in the traditional sense of the word.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh I so want to hear you sing the Manamanah song when the pull cord is pulled... that would seriously make my day. Hehehehe.