Monday, August 13, 2007

Stress Test Redux

I haven't heard anything from my cardiologist about the results of my stress test, which is actually a good thing. They never call to say "Healthy! You bet, you bet!" (Can you tell that I watch "Doctor-ology"?)

But there's something about stress test that, in retrospect, annoys me just a little.

They wanted me to stop taking my blood pressure medication about two days in advance of the test, so I quit taking the metoprolol. Then I go in to take the test, and they snivel at me because my blood pressure is high! What did they expect? Do they think I take blood pressure medication because I enjoy swallowing small expensive pink things? So they decided to give me nitroglycerine to regulate my blood pressure, so the rest of the day I had the familiar and quite unpleasant nitro headache (which feels like having a very large hose clamp tightened around one's head, by the way).*

Would it not have been easier to just keep taking the metoprolol?

But for what it's worth, as long as I'm on metoprolol, my blood pressure continues to be very low and very well regulated.

Now I get to deal with a more serious stress test. I'm cleared to start working on September 4th, and I know I could start working now as long as I didn't have to lift much. This means that I have to start looking for a job, and though I have connections and insiders willing to help, nobody likes going through interviews. The prospect of starting a new job doesn't bother me; I have sturdy faith in my competence. It's the interview that worries me, but at least I have a good answer when they ask me "How come you haven't worked for two months?"

*Not to go off on nitroglycerine, but it seems to me to be very a "devil and the deep blue sea" situation. Angina, or a headache? Tough choice. Can't I just have a cramp in my foot instead? Or better yet, a cramp in Frank Zappa's foot? (Yes, I know he's dead, and that means he won't mind the foot cramp.)

1 comment:

Jean said...

Umm... please don't volunteer information about your heart attack in interviews. Yeah yeah. I know. It's the wet blanket speaking out again. It's satan's ex-wife yammering on at the mouth once more. However, corporate people are not nice. They are not "fair". What seems like a perfectly reasonable and honest explanation to you, spells "LIABILITY" to them. Even Wal-Mart is cutting back on hiring their familiar elderly greeters because they are at risk of health problems. You are not elderly, of course, but "heart attack" is a big health issue and, as we have seen, an expensive one.

I think Barb had the right idea when she told you to "cite 'Personal Reasons'".

Okie dokie. That's all I'm saying on the subject. I'll go outside and spit into the wind now.