Tuesday, May 27, 2008

One Last Thought

Even though I'm technically on vacation, I just wanted to say two words: Amon Amarth.

I was hoping I'd find a way to cram two Amon Amarth albums onto my iPod so I could listen to them in Mexico, but no sale. My iPod is full, and every time I try to take something off, the experiment goes totally awry. So I am, unable to download my Amon Amarth albums. Oh, I suppose I could figure out how to do it if I applied myself, but it's getting a little late in the sequence of vacation ops to be figuring stuff like that out today.

But Amon Amarth is pretty good Swedish death metal, nicely heavy but not too brutal. Heavier than Dark Tranquility, more melodic than Dismember, not as atmospheric as Insomnium, not as poppy as In Flames, but pretty good.

http://www.amonamarth.com/

I like the fact that in their photographs they don't look like the usual scrawny folk that inhabit the metal universe - heroin addicts, speek freaks or people who get by on nothing but cigarettes and coffee and existential dread. These are men, chunky specimens who never met a Big Mac they didn't like, men who never pushed back from the table till they were full.

I can hang with that.

No comments: