Thursday, May 22, 2008

TV Losses

I worry that some time this year I'm going to lose all my favorite TV shows. Not that I have a lot of favorite TV shows, but there are certain ones that I watch. Most Evil, for example, and stuff on DHC, and Chiller. But I worry that it's all going to tumble into the abyss or collapse like a house of cards or be blown away like dust on the wind or otherwise come to metaphorical ruin.

Why?

Vonage.

I read a while back on some business-oriented news story that Vonage is one of the ten companies thought likely to go belly-up in 2008. But we know from watching TV that Vonage commercials represent approximately 33% of all TV commercials that ever existed. Roughly one out of every three commercials I've watched in the last year involved the annoying yoo-hoo, yoo-hoo-hoo music and the Eyebrow Woman.

So what happens when Vonage goes under and a third of the advertising income for my favorite TV shows evaporates? I doubt that Billy Mays and that Sham-Wow guy, even working together, could sop up that much dead air, so obviously most TV channels would go off the air because there's simply not be enough money to keep the CEO in gold bathroom fixtures and cheroots on the one hand, and buy programming on the other.

So, goodbye, Most Evil, it was good knowing you.

No comments: