Monday, December 22, 2008

Another Step

The biopsy node has been taken out and the port, central line or whatever you choose to call it has been put in. I feel really no pain at all from those incisions, just some generic pulling and tugging from the patchwork of dressings I wear on the right side of my chest and neck. I'm supposed to be in bed and not up and "farting around", as they say, and soon enough I will be. The catheter from the port goes down into my vena cava and they really won't want it to come out. They don't? Me either!

The worst part was the weird bulge in their operating table. Maybe I was on it wrong or something - I routinely overflow hospital beds and operating tables - but it was pushing a bulge of something into the small of my back that was extremely painful. They tried for a few minutes to rearrange me with pillows, then the surgeon finally told them not to bother; I would be out within a few minutes anyway. And I was.

One step closer, though I'm festooned with dressings and can't really move my neck in any direction at all. It reminds me a tad of the grand old bypass days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, William!

I've been following you on Jean's blog, but she hasn't blogged in a bit.

Did you really have surgery or was it the wack of the horns by that great big practice bull you rode for TEN seconds?

At any rate, don't "cowboy up" and endure pain. People heal faster when they're pain free. Honest! I'm a nurse!

Shelia

William said...

Hi, nice to meet you! Jean's been a little busy lately, as you might imagine, and probably hasn't been able to blog as much as she would like.

As for me, yeah, it was the bull that did it. One swipe of Big Mike's horn and suddenly I'd had an unofficial biopsy. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I officially gave up on Noble Suffering last week. Suffering may or may not be noble, but as long as you've got a bottle full of pain pills, it's completely unnecessary.