Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bowls

I spent most of yesterday watching obscure college football bowl games. At least that's what it looked like from where I was sitting.

I think for the sake of efficiency I'll establish a rule that unless I say otherwise, each successive day should be assumed to be worse than the day before. Yesterday was very bad indeed, but there's no need to for me to say how bad because of this new rule. Today, however, is a little better than yesterday, so I'll mention it in passing.

But I spent most of yesterday remaining as stationary as possible and watching college football. It was the day of obscure bowl games, apparently, though I'm used to bowl games happening betwixt Christmas and New Years. I guess when you're a Division 9 team, you play when and as you can. The Chutney Bowl. The Hominy Bowl. The Affiliated Plastic Lunch Tray Bowl. But I'll say this much: most of the teams (according to the announcers) don't hand out athletic scholarships, so there was refreshing lack of ego. None of this T.O., Heisman candidate, hyping the self BS, just a bunch of guys out playing football in places I've never heard of and, generally, going a good job of it. Just the kind of soap required to get an oily Cowboys game off one's skin.

No comments: