Saturday, December 27, 2008

Holding Pattern

I continue to wait for my opportunity to start chemo, and in the meantime, I don't know what to say. I don't want to report that I'm getting worse, but I think I am. The pain in my left thigh, hip and left lower back have become chronic and intense. I think my foot and lower leg are actually starting to decompress a little, that is, to become a little less swollen, but it turns out that the lymphoma has slipped the bounds of the lymphatic system in my leg and it's infiltrating my left thigh and groin, which also accounts for its oddly swollen nature, perhaps, and its extremely painful nature, perhaps. I have occasional difficulty swallowing. I'm so doped up that most of the time I'm not entirely sure what I'm thinking.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment by hoping that the first chemo treatment on Wednesday will debulk the tumors in my groin and leg to the point that I'll regain reasonable use of my leg, but I have to believe in something. The alternative is to sit awake all night and reflect upon the fact that I haven't had any treatment at all yet and am, technically speaking, dying of this shit. Stage IV. Lovely.

I'd rather hold out hope for an unrealistically-rapid cure, if it's all the same to anyone else.

I have the strangest craving for canned peaches. What can it mean? When I get over this lymphoma stuff I'm going to publish a list of Immutable Laws and I suspect at least a third of them are going to involve canned peaches in some way.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm sorry that you are feeling so badly... I thought it was stage III... did I misunderstand something????? I wish I could help....

William said...

I don't think you misunderstood anything. Staging a lymphoma seems kind of tricky. Is IIIe the same as IV? It is according to the rules, but then again, I only play a doctor on TV. And in a way the actual stages don't really change the way it's treated. My official stage is III, but it could go to IV depending on what they find in the bone marrow biopsy - again, not that it makes a huge medical difference.

Anyway. I don't think there's anything anyone can do for me except hope for good results with the chemo on Wednesday. :)