Saturday, July 18, 2009

SCT

Well, let's all hope that my biopsies come up negative, for the consequences of a positive, it turns out, are pretty severe.

The primary consequence is that I'd need a stem cell transplant, also known as an autologous bone marrow transplant. This has two main consequences.

First is the 10% to 25% chance of dying in the middle of the procedure - the American Cancer Society says 10%, my doctor says 25%. There are various ways of expiring, but none of them sound like fun.

Second is the fact that the SCT is considerd an experimental procedure, isn't covered by most insurance plans, and costs in excess of $100,000. The only way I could possibly afford this is to close out my retirement - I guess you can't retire if you don't survive, but gee whiz...

I am, needless to say, completely freaked out.

So let's all hope for a negative biopsy result. I simply won't accept any other outcome!

2 comments:

William said...

Man, do I ever need a cigarette...

Stockyard Queen said...

I bet you do. I'm sending you all the good mojo I can. This bone marrow transplant thing is just too scary to contemplate.