Monday, July 27, 2009

Growth

I was in the bathroom at work today, looking at myself in the mirror, when I became puzzled by a scruffy growth on my face. What the heck could it be? It could be beard, by gum. Since I stopped chemo my beard has come back with a vengeance. When I was doing chemo I didn't have to shave for weeks on end, and even then my beard never amounted to much more than a light fuzz. But now, criminy. I skip a few days and I suddenly start looking like...

Like who?

If I'm in a particularly self-aggrandizing mood, I'd say I look like Josh Holloway on Lost, since we're both blonde and tend to beard up in about the same way.

If I'm in a less charitable mood, I say I look like Ernest Hemingway waking up off a three-day bender halfway up the side of Mount Kilimamjaro. Which can be fun, sure, but it isn't particularly sexy.

The main thing is that like my stamina and strength, my beard is returning. It's a sign of returning health, but I got sort of used to not having to shave very often.

No comments: