Saturday, July 17, 2010

It Isn't The End, But...

It isn't the actual end of the world, but you can see it coming from here.

Every now and then I see something on TV that literally stops me short, makes me scrunch up my face, and causes me to blurt What the fuck?

I cite the "window shopping" ad for beer, which now has a convenient window cut in the side of the 12-pack so one can visually confirm whether the beer is cold or not. It's not the end of human civilization, but it's another long step closer.

What's wrong, is actually touching the beer to see if it's cold too difficult these days? I think what really makes me foam at the mouth is the sick feeling that somewhere, someone actually thinks that's an actual innovation. "See, this way, I don't have to lift my arm and touch the beer; I can just stand there and survey the beer with my eyes, thus saving me valuable physical effort." Yeah, heaven forbid you should have to put down your National Enquirer long enough to put a fingertip on the 12-pack.

Or is the effort of working out the logical problem too much trouble?

Given: the beer is in a refrigerator.
Given: the refrigerator is cold.
Conclusion: The beer might be so hot it'll burn my fingertip if I touch it!

We're doomed. In 1969 we harnessed the power of 7.5 million pounds of thrust and went to the moon. In 2010 we cut holes in cardboard boxes so we can be sure our beer is cold. We're just doomed.

No comments: