Thursday, December 06, 2007

Iowa Blockages

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire always get to pick the next President? And why do I have to listen to coffee shop conversations with Iowa caucus members and New Hampshire primary voters on the radio every damn morning?? Can't we please let some other state pick the President?

Not that I want Arizona to be that state. Frankly, the less time those yokels spend in Arizona, the happier I am. But why shouldn't, say, Nevada pick the President? Or Hawaii? Or - and here's a thought - a state with a large population and a large economy, something that neither New Hampshire nor Iowa have? A state like, oh, I don't know, California, or Texas, or New York? What's New Hampshire going to do if we let Texas pick the President, cut off our supply of maple syrup?

I'm told that New Hampshire has a law on its books requiring it to hold its primary before any other state. So what's to prevent, say, Idaho, from passing the same law? What happens then? New Hampshire and Idaho take turns moving their primaries up until we're voting for the 2012 primary at 9 AM today and the 2016 primary at 10 AM? If nothing else, it would spare me from having to mute a bunch of politicians giving dubious speeches on TV, and that would be a Godsend.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

seen a bit too much of the ever-fun Mitt Romney's Religion = Freedom speech, did you? Hehehe... that speech made capillaries burst in my head...

William said...

That was horrible! I couldn't deal with it and had to tune it out because eventually the relentless pandering to the evangelicals destroyed my soul. Does he really believe that you can't be an American without God, or did I just imagine he said that?

What would Jesus do? Jesus would most likely slap that man across the face.