Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Zounds, me hearties!

I realize that in the larger scheme of things, this particular blog entry is going to seem awfully pedestrian, but cut me some slack, I had a long day at work, it was cold and rainy, and I've decided to celebrate even the most minor of successes.

But I won an eBay auction today. It was my first eBay win, and I feel all excited about it, almost as though it actually means something. It might be different if I'd won an auction for something useful, like an original copy of the Constitution, or a liver and a bottle of Chianti, or Harry Truman's shoehorn, or a beer with Kurt Russell. All I won was a reissue of an old game that was first published in the 1980s. Eight bucks. That's the extent of my sweeping victory. An eight-buck game.

But you have to start somewhere. I'm one of those people that sees something interesting and pokes in a minor bid, maybe two or three dollars over the existing bid, and am immediately outbid by the other guy. So I say "Well, geez, if you want it so bad, take it then!" It's almost a personal affront - one almost wishes the system would let you pretend to be the high bidder for five or ten seconds before crushing your soul. But this time, I was the only one that bid, so barring a terrible nuclear accident, I was pretty much assured of winning.

Now, the question arises, what do I propose to do with my eight-dollar game?

No comments: