Saturday, December 22, 2007

Now That's Inappropriate

I have the odd habit of buying things for myself when I'm out buying things for other people. Not big things, mind you, but I come home with, say, ten items, the odds are good that one or two of them will be for me.

This week I saw a 20-episode DVD of Metalocalypse at Target, and being a fan of metal generally, I bought it.

My goodness.

It's gross, violent, coarse, disturbing, bloody, disgusting and filthy. It is in some places very disturbing, like the electric wheelchair and the screenful of KILL_ME messages. That was genuinely horrific, not just schoolboy horrific like the chain-reaction puking. The show has no redeeming value whatsoever. But holy cow is it ever funny, often in extremely disturbing ways. The music is pretty good too. I especially liked "Sewn Back Together Wrong". There's a part of me that doesn't think I should find material like that funny - but how can I not?

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm off to Burzum's for the Filosofem Special. Snort.

I do wish, however, that the show had less of William Murderface, who annoys me, and more of Toki and Skwisgaar, who amuse me. And I do wish to formally lodge a protest that at least half of the time, the vocals sound more like metalcore or even nu-metal than death metal.

No comments: