Friday, September 19, 2008

Arrrrr!

For is it not written in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster that every Friday is a religious holiday? And is it not also written that International Talk Like A Pirate Day, September 19th, is among the most important of religious holidays?

Of course it is so written; I read the book just last night and I oughta know.*

So have ye some grog, scalawag, and say "Arrrr!"**

*I bought the book at Barnes & Nobles last night and thought I detected on the face of the middle-aged woman cashier, doubtless a Sarah Palin clone, a sneer of contempt. Or maybe she was merely responding to my animal magnetism. Either is possible, though one is more likely than the other.

**The original meaning of "grog" was apparently a mix of about four parts water to one part rum, done mostly to make nasty spoiled stored water palatable enough to choke down aboard old-style sailing ships. Since then, the word has expanded to include practically any kind of alcoholic beverage, though one would perhaps be reluctant to suddenly shout "Yar, slosh me some more of ye grog, matey!" at a wine tasting. Reluctant, but not completely opposed. Go ahead, dare me.

Given that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is pretty accommodating, I don't think there would be a problem with wine, beer, or anything else being temporarily reclassified as "grog" for the purposes of today. Me, ye lubbers, I'm having me yon Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Yarrr!

No comments: