Saturday, September 27, 2008

Filler

This post is mostly just filler. I'm coming up on my 400th post and since I am by nature impatient to achieve milestones of that sort, I'm burning this post (#399) with a cheesy discussion of nothing at all so I can move on to 400.

So what's new? My tractor has a flat tire, which is a bummer in that I don't have a jack that will allow me to safely remove the tire for repair. A few years ago some company took over the Saguaro Janes building here in bustling downtown Wittmann and set up a tool sale. I can't remember if this was before Harbor Freight had opened its tool store or not, but even if it was after, these guys were a mile and a half away, and Harbor Freight was something like forty.

So I bought a bunch of stuff. As I was waiting in line to collect my stuff at the tractor-trailer that served as the warehouse, I saw that they were closing out their farm jacks for twenty bucks a pop. All I needed to do was go back inside and pay the woman $20 and get a slip, but I decided that that was too much trouble.

Now here I am, some years on, wishing I'd just gone inside and gotten the slip, because now I need the dang jack.

I may also need to do some welding on me tractor - I think I either produced a new crack, or aggravated an existing crack, in the mount for the three-point top link, this from trying to uproot a poorly-placed desert broom bush by attacking it in reverse. That bush is one tough peckerwood - no taller than my waist, but it brought my tractor to a screeching halt and when I tried to raise the scraper to get some hydraulic boost on the matter, I proceeded to hoist the front tires off the ground.

But at least I've already got the welder.

No comments: