Sunday, September 14, 2008

Vires quod virtus

I'm going to need it, because it's time to dig out the carpet cleaner.

Soon enough I'm going to tear the carpet out entirely, but until I reach that point, I have to do something about the carpet.

Vires quod virtus.

How come everything sounds more meaningful to me if it's in Latin? In a way it's like being drunk. When I'm drunk, everything I think seems more profound. When I read, everything in Latin seems more profound. And Latin isn't even the root language of English! That would be some species of old Anglo-Saxon, though there are plenty of Latin words in English. How come it doesn't sound nearly as profound in Old English or Anglo-Saxon as it does in Latin??

One of my favorite examples of Anglo-Saxon versus Latin is the word "window". In everyday conversion, we say "I threw that yahoo out the window!" That's Anglo-Saxon. But in a court of law, we'd say "I was forced to defenestrate the plantiff." That's Latin.

Or horse stuff. We "equestrian sports". That's high Latin. We have "cavalry". That's descended from vulgate Latin. We have "horses". That's derived from Anglo-Saxon. Three words that all refer (more or less) to the same thing, but they come from three different languages! Man I love English!

None of which has served to do a thing about the carpet, so off I go.

Vires quod virtus.

No comments: