Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day of the Gol-Durn Lepus


The desert's starting to get pretty dry, and the rabbits are starting to get pretty industrious about finding ways to break into our garden. At first it was kind of amusing because they'd just crop a little grass on the fringes of the back yard, but now they're starting to regard the garden as their personal Souper Salad franchise without so much Souper.

So what are we looking at here? This is the little stub fence that connects the gate on the right to the house on the left. The black mesh is some kind of plastic mesh that I tied to the wrought iron fence to keep the rabbits and squirrels out. It worked until the rabbits gnawed a hole in the mesh. I heaped rocks up in front of the hole. They kicked the rocks out of the way. I heaped rocks and dirt up in front of it and put the metal can on top, which is half-full of rocks itself (it's a metal can from one of those Christmas three-flavor popcorn deals, but I don't remember why I filled it halfway with rocks).

So what did they do? They tunneled clean under the damn can! What you see in the photograph is the rabbit equivalent of the Interstate-10 tunnel!

This is getting ridiculous. I don't know which is worse, the guys with ATVs who watch too much TV and think that my property exists solely for their noise-making, dust-raising enjoyment, or the rabbits who tunnel under my can and eat the last of the bean plants. Clearly I need to get serious. Perhaps a minefield would solve both problems.

No comments: