Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Novelty Drinks

I'm really not good at knowing drink ingredients. What's in a Boilermaker? Or a My Tai? Or a Sex on the Beach? I have no idea and have to rely on several highly informative websites to keep me current on the state of the art in mixology. I'm not even sure what goes in my favorite drinks - I just know that my attempts to make pina coladas at home have never proved fully successful.

So with that incompetent mixology in mind, permit me to describe the "Mexican Flag", a novelty drink I had a couple of times in Puerto Vallarta.

It starts with a tall glass. Fill it a third of the way with Midori. Carefully float a thick layer of slushy pina colada on top of that. Float another layer of strawberry daquiri atop that. The result in a green-white-red parfait-like thing that brings the Mexican flag to mind (though without the eagle-snake-cactus business, which I suppose could be decaled on the side of the glass if one were in search of maximum accuracy).

The short review: Pretty good! It's not going to displace any of my favorite drinks, but at least I can now claim that I know the ingredients of a novelty drink. I feel better knowing that. I may not know which quarks comprise any given hadron, or the proper spark plug gap for a Jaguar XKE, or why I find burgundy fingernails arresting, but at least by damn I know what goes into a Mexican Flag.

Huzzah!

No comments: