Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Tried

Today I read a news story about how Lil Wayne (whom I have honestly never heard of before) had sold fourteen quadrillion copies of his latest album in thirty-seven seconds. Or maybe I'm being hyperbolic. But either way, I decided to listen to one of the songs from that album, just to make sure I wasn't arbitrarily excluding some major work of musical genius from my life just out of sheer stubbornness.

Turns out that I'm not. Whatever the merits of Lil Wayne's album, it's just not for me. When I listen to rap (which this was) I often calibrate my reaction to it based on how many times I have to listen to my current favorite metal song of the day to get the rap out of my head. Today my favorite metal tune is "Gods of War Arise" by Amon Amarth, and I had to listen to it four times to get the rap out of my head.

You like rap? Enjoy it in good health, but don't expect me to like it.

No comments: