Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guest Blogger

Today I wish to turn the controls of my blog over to a guest blogger. She holds a doctorate in political science and... no, I'm just kidding, I don't have a guest blogger. I just thought it would make me sound important.

But seriously - what's with the Green Planet channel? Actually, it isn't bad. Some of the shows are pretty good, such as the Renovation Nation thing with Steve Thomas (who, I must say, isn't as young as he once was, but then again, neither am I, and he carries his age better than I do). The show manages to strike a pretty good balance between environmentalism and practicality.

But there's another show that was so bad that I'll never, ever, watch it again. I don't remember what it's called. Eco-something. Eco-Nausea. It's a ceaseless Brownian smear of smug, holier-than-thou, hipper-than-thou cardboard cutouts who think that the "sustainability report" on a piece of furniture is the only thing that counts. Let's see, I'm buying a new crib for my baby, what's more important, that it be structurally sound and not have lead paint on it, or that the wood be "fully sustainable"? And the toybox built so the door couldn't overbalance and would thus crash down on the little girl's head every time she opened it, that was rich too. But the woman was the worst. She meandered through the show with a kind of dreamy-eyed detachment, as though she was deeply and fully centered in the Zen now, but maybe she just drank too much cough syrup. The two guys were well-intentioned but overzealous, but the woman crossed the line and ended up just flat annoying.

Suffice it to say that I'll be giving that particular mess a very wide berth in the future. It's the kind of overly smug, holier-than-thou crap that gives environmentalism a bad name. Actually, I confess, I associate green with things like the Eco-humbug show, and environmentalism with actual science and political and social action.

No comments: