Saturday, June 13, 2009

Health Update

I'm starting to feel halfway decent again after my last (and I do mean last) chemo. I'm still far from normal, but at least it is possible to sit here and contemplate a future where I feel better instead of worse. I still have intestinal problems that border upon the unbearable, and I get extremely tired in the early afternoons, but my leading indicators are all positive. (Remember the old show Wall Street Week with Louis Rukyser? He'd say that my elves were optimistic, though I never really understood what he meant by elves - or much of anything else.)

I went into town today because my uncle is in the hospital and not doing well. I try to be optimistic, but sometimes the evidence of my eyes makes optimism difficult to maintain. He was actually going through chemo at the same oncology clinic that I went to, though I went on Wednesdays and he went on Tuesdays, so I only ran into him there once.

Anyway, my point is that I didn't do much today except drive into down and sit around in the hospital for a while, and eat a halfway decent patty melt at a little restaurant by my mom's house. No forbiddingly difficult physical work there, by any means, but still, by the time I drove home, I was beat. It's been ten days since my last chemo and I still collapse like overcooked spagetti in the afternoons.

But my elves are optimistic. At least I have that going for me.

No comments: