Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Last Post

This will probably be my last post for a few days. I doubt that I'll feel much like blogging when I get home from work tonight. Tomorrow is chemo day, and it's unlikely that I'll be struck by the urge to write.

I go in today for my final blood test, where they count my various subsets of blood cells and determine whether I'm healthy enough to be poisoned. I should be, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me at all if the universe decided to drag this thing out for a few weeks by screwing with my ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) and forcing my oncologist to delay treatment.

It'll be all right. Even though this is my last chemo, I still dread it, and the dread makes me imagine all sorts of nightmare scenarios like delayed treatment, collapsing white blood cell counts, extremities falling off, and aliens bursting out of my chest. Dread before chemo, depression after chemo, it's all a part of life's rich pageant.

That's not really what I wanted to dwell on. Mostly I just wanted to say that I'll be back after chemo, and hopefully my mood post-chemo will be better than my mood pre-chemo.

8 comments:

Stockyard Queen said...

Sending good mojo your way, William. It will all be over soon.

Stockyard Queen said...

Just promise that you won't start brewing up crystal meth to pay for your treatment, a la Breaking Bad.

William said...

That's a pretty easy promise to make, actually, since I don't know how to brew up crystal meth and wouldn't know how to start. With my luck, if I tried to make crystal meth I'd probably just end up creating The Blob.

Stockyard Queen said...

I don't know if you watch Breaking Bad, but when you're feeling better, you might enjoy getting it on DVD. Very dark humor, but humor nonetheless.

William said...

I've seen ads for it, and I have friends who have tried to get me interested in it. My problem is that I never pay enough attention to the TV to know when it's on - I have terrible discipline when it comes to tuning in at a regular time to watch a series.

Stockyard Queen said...

That's what a DVD is for, sir. Record and watch at your convenience! It's great for us old folks who can't stay up past 10.

William said...

I know my mom regards her DVR as the greatest thing to happen to civilization since the end of World War Two, and this from someone who traditionally avoided home electronics as though they carried the plague. I fear that one day I'm going to join her in DVR-land.

Stockyard Queen said...

DVRs rock.